Monday, March 5, 2018

reflection: post observation March 5

As I continue to meet with students to discuss their most recently scored writing, I know that this is the most effective way to teach writing.  When we hand them a scored essay and don't take the time to process it with them, the student looks at the score and then seldom espends further energy to focus on improvement.

When I sit with a student one-on-one, I can focus on specific writing goals for that student.  I can build the teacher/student relationship by encouraging them and focusing on the skills they have already mastered while giving them gentle direction for improvement.    IF I stand before the entire class and make blanket statements for improvement, students can tune out or they can be confused about which bits of feedback refer specifically to them.

If I think about improving this process, I just think about doing more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment