Monday, January 9, 2017

Something Strange Is Happening

And I am not sure if it is good.  There is a tiny revolution taking place in my head.  It is manifesting itself in a purge. I have started getting rid of anything that feels extraneous in my classroom: handouts, file cabinets, tables, old educational theory books.

Here's the deal:  I don't need all this crap in order to help students improve their writing.  All I need are some well-written exemplar texts and some devices. This is quite contrary to the beginning of my career when I hoarded everything.  But I'm kind of scaring myself.  People are asking me if I'm retiring.  I'm not.  I just feel this compulsion to have less around me so that I can focus on what is important: reading, writing and talking about reading and writing.  And that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment